Re: [nsp] WCCP & 12.1(5)T10

From: Mark Pace Balzan (mpb@melitacable.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 01:49:39 EDT

> >Is their anyone using WCCP v2 and 12.1(5)T10 running on 7206VXR NPE 400
with
> >CEF enabled for redirection, and is working well ?
>
> as a general recommendation, i'd recommend that you run the 12.0S software
> train (latest 12.0(x)S release) rather than a 12.1T release.
>
> having said that, i don't believe that there are any major issues with
WCCP
> in 12.1(5)T.

I'd agree, in fact I run an S train on the NPE200, but Im using IRB and NBAR
on the NPE400, which isnt available in S train images unfortunately.

> given you see different characteristics between the NPE200 and NPE400, i'd
> say that you may want to investigate your cache.
> by the sounds of it, perhaps it has some kind of "overload bypass"
facility
> and isn't using the correct method to redirect unwanted traffic back to
the
> router. the use of an incorrect method results in a "traffic loop" with
> unwanted traffic being re-intercepted and sent back to the cache - ad
> infinitum --
> i know of at least 2 cache vendors that "get this wrong".

If I understand you correctly you mean that the cache is trying to bypass
excess requests by sending them straight out to the internet 'unprocessed',
right ?

Im not sure if I this is what is happening. briefly my setup is as below:

Users---NPE200---L2 Switch---NPE400---Internet

The Cache is connected to the L2 switch.
Im doing outbound redirection on the NPE200 interface connected to the L2
switch, and all is OK
When I perform outbound redirection on the NPE400 interface towards the
internet traffic levels increase ten fold.

Pretty much the same amount of traffic is redirected, except for some
adittional traffic (+10%) coming from other boxes connected to the L2
switch.

This results in about 90 transactions per second, which I doubt is causing
it to go in overload bypass.

Perhaps if you may indicate which vendors have such problems (privately if
necessary), I can sort this out

Thanks

Mark