[nsp] Multicast questions

From: Jonas Stenling (jonas@stenling.nu)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 04:44:18 EST

Hello!

I've been brushing up my multicast skills lately and now I have some
questions that I thought you could answer for me.

We have a PIM-SM network with one RP. On all core routers we've configured
"ip pim rp-address a.b.c.d" and "ip pim accept-rp a.b.c.d". We're running
msdp on three border routers in a mesh-group.

On the border routers with external msdp peering I'm seeing a lot of these
messages:

Oct 28 00:18:27: %PIM-6-INVALID_RP_JOIN: Received (*, 224.2.127.254) Join
from e.f.g.h for invalid RP a.b.c.d

I know that removing the "ip pim accept-rp a.b.c.d" command will get rid
of the message, but I'm trying to find the real cause to why I'm getting
them in the first place. "e.f.g.h" is the interface address on a pos link
in our core network that is downstream from the RP router. Why is this router
sending joins with this invalid RP address? Since all routers are
configured to use a.b.c.d as the RP address, aren't all routers supposed
to send their joins toward this address? Or is that join coming from one
of the external msdp peers? (This particular router do not have external
msdp peering.)

Are you supposed to run pim on the interface where you are peering with
other operators?

--
Visit: http://www.stenling.nu/contact.html for contact info.
EOF