Re: [nsp] BGP Multihoming -how to announce backup route???

From: Jim Warner (warner@cats.UCSC.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 19:56:26 EST

Andrew has commended us to a cisco white paper suggesting
NAT as an alternative to BGP.

www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/ionetn/tech/emios_wp.htm

I started reading...

The paper offers some examples which include some cisco-
looking code but don't go as far as telling the model number
and/or feature set in the things labeled "NAT1" and "NAT2".

Perhaps a more important question, however: Is anyone willing
to admit to using this system?

It sounds pretty cool, but I think it would be more palatable
packaged into a single box including the DNS component with
vendor support. I would like to be able to recommend something
like this to school districts that want to back up their
state-provided ISP service with some directly procured service,
but I'm not sure where support would come from.

...still reading...

-jim warner, UC Santa Cruz