Re: [nsp] Cisco 6509 vs Nortel 8010

From: Rubens Kuhl Jr. (rkuhljr@uol.com.br)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 05:11:23 EST

Based on the description of how the PP 8010 works, presented to me by a
local office Nortel SE, they are:

- PP 8010 uses demand-based forwarding. The same old idea of caching flows
or adjacencies determined by a central CPU. Many switch-routers had this
flaw once in their evolution line, but 2001 is too late to still have this one.
- If you need ACLs(and it's becoming less often not needing them), Cat 6K
can have very large, L4 (i.e., extended), wire-speed ACLs.

Sorry for not granting your request for strictly technical reasons, but I
think I need to remind you that LAN switching is not one of the core
businees Nortel has defined as its main targets (Wireless, Optical, Metro),
and the support quality (bug-fixing versions, for instance) has decreased a
lot for these products. If you need competitors, try Foundry and
Extreme(and may be the Enterasys/Riverstone/Marconi offers that happens to
be the same product).

>Can anyone give me reasons why a Cat6509 is preferred over a Nortel
>Passport 8010? Please stick to strictly technical reasons. :-)

Rubens Kuhl Jr.