Re: [nsp] Doubt on MPLS

From: Edward S. Desouza (edward_desouza@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 03:14:22 EST

Hi ,
 to answer your first querry : You can configure the
cisco box as a FRAD and configure UNI switching. Thus
you are shielded from the passport routing entirely (
DPRS in Passports case )
 AS Eric has is trying to put across you would run
MPLS for :
  1. Traffic Engineering : Using a pAssport network
you could do TE by configuring PVC's to flow through
certain paths
   2. MPLS VPN's : YOu can configure MPLS VPN's ,over
FR PVC's but it does not make much sense. ( use the
good ole PVC concept to offer VPN's) Also, in terms of
QOS that needs to be deployed, IT IS A NIGHTMARE
CONFIGURING QOS ( CBWFQ + FRTS ) on the 7500 VIP based
platforms.

Rgds,
Edward

--- Eric Osborne <eosborne@cisco.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:15:49AM -0500,
> Muthuvelu.T.J wrote:
> >

> > Hi All,
> >

> > I have an scenario. I have an FrameRelay Network
> built using Nortel
> > Passport using Dynamic Packet Routing System
> (DPRS) which is a
> > Nortel propritery Layer2 Routing Protocol. Now I
> want to add a Cisco
> > Router ( preferably a Cisco 3660 Router ) as a
> FrameRelay switch to
> > my FrameRelay Backbone. Since Cisco router is not
> aware of the DPRS,
> > how do I add my cisco router to the Network.. ie
> how the trunks
> > should be configured and the how the PVC's would
> be created.
>
> I have no idea....
>
> > One more thing, Is it possible to deploy MPLS on
> these devices and
> > acheive my requirement.
>
> That depends a lot on what your requirement is. You
> can do a bunch of
> stuff with MPLS, but I have no idea what you really
> want to do,
> nevermind whether MPLS would be the most sensible
> way to do it.
>

> eric

=====
Edward S. Desouza