Re: Service Provider and the 7600?

From: Simon Leinen (simon@limmat.switch.ch)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 03:21:29 EST

> Hi,
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 11:52:05AM -0500, Goodwin, Dustin T [IT] wrote:
>> For service providers that want a box for below OC-192 applications is the
>> 7600 make inroads on the GSR? It seems to exceed the GSR in some respects.

> It certainly looks nice. I didn't hear any positive or negative
> real-world comments about it yet, unfortunately...

My general impression is that the hardware is great and the software
still needs a bit of work. We have two 7600 OSRs connected through a
long-haul Gigabit Ethernet connection (over DWDM), and one of them has
an STM-16c (that's OC-48c for you Merkins) to another network.

The system is a bit Juniper-like (sorry) in that it has ASIC-based
centralized forwarding (on the Sup2/PFC2), so you can shift lots of
traffic with 0% CPU load, and you can still keep your old line cards
if there's new forwarding technology coming out one day - just put in
the Sup3 or Sup4...

The "WAN" port cards (OSMs) have network processors on them (PXF), but
contrary to other Cisco routers with PXF, those aren't used for
forwarding but only for "services" such as fancy queueing/scheduling.
Right now this includes shaping and RED on a very high number of
queues, which is already quite useful. Maybe other useful mechanisms
such as Priority Queueing or MDRR will be added in the future.

The functionality I miss most compared to the 7500s we have been using
is full NetFlow v5 accounting information. The OSR exports NetFlow v7
(like all Catalyst 6500s :-), and the Sup2 version of NetFlow v7 is
missing a few really important fields.

Other than that there are only a few glitches (such as missing 64-bit
counters on the GE-WAN interfaces), but that's probably to be expected
from a new product.

--
Simon Leinen				       simon@babar.switch.ch
SWITCH				   http://www.switch.ch/misc/leinen/