Re: SNMP counter64s gettings stuck?

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 13:21:01 EST

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:05:10PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
> The description I heard is that as long as there are no interfaces
> faster than 20Mb/s that 64-bit counters won't be used.
>
> Don't know how accurate this is as i'm no uberalles snmp guru.

The 4500/4700 fills in the proper values for 10 Mbit ethernets.

For serials (NP-4T) it returns *completely bogus* values (not "not
implemented" or "0" but the last ethernet you've queried), which is
crap by whatever definition of anything you apply.

ATM subif counter64's get cleared to 0 when you do "clear count atm2/0",
which is also a very stupid thing to do. When you delete and recreate
an ATM subif, its counter32s will start out as 0, while the counter64 will
start with the value it had before deletion.

Cisco and interface counters. Ohmygod. Must-stop-ranting-now.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de