Re: [nsp] virtual link

From: Harold Ritter (hritter@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 20:04:54 EST

Dhiman,

You need to configure a VL if for instance R2 is used as an ABR (connects
more than 1 area) and it doesn't have a connection to the backbone area
(area 0). The VL between R1 and R2 would be seen as a unnumbered
point-to-point link in area 0. In this scenario, R1 needs to be an ABR as
well. The common area between R1 and R2 will be used as a transit area to
connect the two ends of the VL. The transit area can not be configured as
stub.

At 03:34 PM 3/27/2002 -0500, Dhiman Barman wrote:
>Hi,
> If I am configuring a virtual link between R1 and R2,
>
> interface1 interface2
> R1---------------------------------R2
>

> do the interfaces, interface1 and interface2 should be in the
> same in the area ? Or is it that they should be in different areas ?
> If they are in the same area, then why do I need to use virtual
> link to connect R2 to the backbone thru R1 ?
>
>-dhiman

Harold Ritter, CCIE 4168
Advanced Network Services - ISP East
Cisco Systems
300 Apollo Drive
Chelmsford, MA 01824 USA
Phone: 978 497 3129
Fax: 978 497 3129
Cisco Systems- "Empowering the Internet Generation."