Re: Subnet Mask

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 13:18:43 EST

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 03:10:45PM -0300, Giuliano Cardozo Medalha wrote:
> Yesterday nigth a very good system analyst give me a lot of explanation
> about it.

If this system analyst was *good*, there would not be any need to ask.

> Nobody knows how the algorithm implemented by CISCO or Extreme or Juniper
> works !!!

If you want to see source code, look into the Linux or BSD kernel
networking code. The basic stuff ("lookup of IP routes and masks")
has to follow the same rules everywhere.

Vendors have their optimizations, of course, making this lookup faster,
adding caching, or implementing it in specialized hardware. But the
basic principle is usually similar.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de