Strange connectivity problem!

From: Mehta, Phoram (pmehta@trabonsolutions.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 14:54:05 EST

I have this strange connectivity issue with all my printers.

I have 4 printers connecting a switch(2924 with no configuration at all what
so ever) and around 10 workstation connected to the same switch.
this switch connects to a 2501 which connects to a remote office 2501 on a
serial link.

the ISSUE:
if the printers are not used for 5 minutes they loose total connectivity
with everything on remote office, the routers on both side. then if a
workstation connected to the same switch as the printer pings the printers
they come up and work fine. again if they stay unused for 5 minutes, they
are down.

any ideas?

for a workaround i have a constant ping to all printers from a machine in
remote office but that's not a solution.

Phoram Mehta
Trabon Solutions
Network Engineer
Email:pmehta@trabonsolutions.com <mailto:Email:pmehta@trabonsolutions.com>