Re: [nsp] Router tunneling?!

From: Jim Van Baalen (vansax@atmnet.net)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 11:53:08 EST

> He have a 7206 doing EVERYTHING. OSPF, Static, E/iBGP and firewalling.
> I'm kicking my boss to get another router and leave the 7206 as a border
> router and get a 7505 or 7507 as an internal core router. He is concerned
> with physical hops as customers hate to see hops. I heard that their is a
> way to "Tunnel" two routers or two interfaces together to make it seem
> "invisible" to a traceroute. Is this possible?! Is it worth while? I'm

Yes it is possible.

I don't believe that it is appropriate for your application. Tunneling
is CPU intensive. Your customers will probably see much better performance
if you just add a second router. In my opinion the entire router hop
discussion is uninteresting, a single overburdened router will often
add much more latency than two happy routers. The percentage of overall
latency added by happy routers to a wide area network is minimal.

Jim