Re: [nsp] OSPF Database question

From: David Bergum (bergum@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 12:22:53 EDT

  Ian> Hi,
  Ian> I have a question regarding the OSPF database output from a "show ip ospf
  Ian> database". In my test environment, I have a router with equally costed
  Ian> routes to a destination and these can be seen from issuing a "show ip
  Ian> route". An extended PING will also demonstrate that load-balancing is
  Ian> occuring.

  Ian> When I look at the OSPF database "show ip ospf database", I do not see both
  Ian> references to the destination, I only see one reference. Should I not see
  Ian> both references to the destination??

Depends on your topology. What do you mean by destination? Is this an
external lsa?

OSPF is a link state protocol. If you have an adjacency to a neighbor over
two equal cost paths, and that neighbor is advertising an external lsa,
there may well only be one lsa in the link state database, but two paths to
the router advertising that link state.

Dave.