Re: [nsp] IOS Server Load balancing

From: Ivan Philips (ivan@unsw.edu.au)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 01:48:38 EDT

Hi Kevin,

> You don't have a service check for it, so IOS has no means of determining
> if it should disable the real server or not. I haven't played w/ slb much,
> but read up on DFP docs, as you might be able to swing something there.
> (ideally, you want the agent to make sure the server is returning aa for
> zones in question, etc).

I was hoping that there was some level of smartness in the IOS SLB and
that we did not have to use an agent on each real server. According to
the cisco docs you have to use a commercial DFP manager (www.platform.com).

> You really need to add tcp to this as well. Queries w/ large answers are
> forced over to TCP (I believe its in the 512-byte range, but would have to
> check rfc to be sure). This also offers another advantage, in that the TCP
> failsafes in slb will kick in..

I just left this out for simplicity at this stage.

> All of this is from documentation, not experience, but check the docs --
> even though slb in IOS is really new, the feature set is decent.

Maybe we need to get a real balancer ..

Ivan