Re: OSPF: Performance benchmarking

From: Howard C. Berkowitz (hcb@clark.net)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 08:45:44 EDT

At 6:26 AM -0400 9/11/01, Manral, Vishwas wrote:
>Hi folks,
>I was going thru the IRTF archives. I saw "routing convergence, stability
>and scalability" as one of the topics to be discussed on this list.(
>http://puck.nether.net/lists/irtf-rr/0118.html )
>The question may not fall in the perview of the list, however i guess this
>is one forum where I can get appropriate information. I would like to know
>whether there are any standard ways to benchmark IGP performace (which
>includes the above three), I am interested in OSPF specifically.
>By the way I have gone thru Chengiz draft on convergence.
>Thanks a lot,
>Vishwas

We have started on benchmarking routing protocol performance in the
Benchmarking Technology Working Group (BMWG), but started with BGP.
IGP convergence benchmarking work would be extremely welcome there,
and might be able to reuse some of what we've done, especially with
respect to terminology.

See
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-conterm-00.txt
   and
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-bgpbas-00.txt

The first is terminology, the second basic methodology.It is the BMWG
style to split topics into these two documents. Speaking for the
team, we would be very glad both to get your comments, and to help
get started on an IGP task. There are other people interested that,
but no specific proposal has emerged yet.