Re: requirements sub-group draft

From: Andrew Partan (asp@partan.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 10:56:48 EST

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 07:44:31AM -0800, Yakov Rekhter wrote:
> I certainly don't recall such an agreement. In fact, I disagree with
> the statement that inter-intra domain split is "A Bad Idea".

Right now we have a hard split between IGP and EGP and the two are
just different. This is bad. It forces a fundamental split at
one point in my network design.

I want to be able to compose things at N layers and the stuff I
use inside of one cloud should not be forced by the routing
architecture.

Right now I can sorta get a 3 level design by using eBGP, BGP
confederations, and IGP. But the top two (eBGP & confederations),
while close, are annoyingly different. And the bottom one (IGP)
is just wildly different. This is not good. I want the stuff to
be the same no matter where I am and to be able to add more layers
w/o fundamentally changing anything at other layers.
        --asp