Re: requirements sub-group draft

From: Yakov Rekhter (yakov@juniper.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 11:18:44 EST

Andrew,

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 07:44:31AM -0800, Yakov Rekhter wrote:
> > I certainly don't recall such an agreement. In fact, I disagree with
> > the statement that inter-intra domain split is "A Bad Idea".
>
> Right now we have a hard split between IGP and EGP and the two are
> just different. This is bad. It forces a fundamental split at
> one point in my network design.
>
> I want to be able to compose things at N layers and the stuff I
> use inside of one cloud should not be forced by the routing
> architecture.
>
> Right now I can sorta get a 3 level design by using eBGP, BGP
> confederations, and IGP. But the top two (eBGP & confederations),
> while close, are annoyingly different. And the bottom one (IGP)
> is just wildly different. This is not good. I want the stuff to
> be the same no matter where I am and to be able to add more layers
> w/o fundamentally changing anything at other layers.

I think that whether the IGP/BGP split is a "good" or a "bad" thing
is largely irrelevant. What is relevant is that this split is likely
to be "inevitable" (as Tony mentioned a while ago).

I understand that there may be a difference of opinions on whether
the split is inevitable or not. So, perhaps we should just say that
there is a difference of opinions on this topic.

Yakov.