more rrg structure

From: Sean Doran (smd@ebone.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 15:17:29 EST

Noel -

Abha and I tried two approaches: a closed RG as per BCP 8, and
closely modelled after end2end, which did not seem to make it easy
to migrate people in and out for the purposes of writing or
collaborating on the various documents we had in mind.

Thus the old terminology of "interest list" and the like.

The current structure is much more like an IETF Area, with the
chairs acting as ADs, creating and disposinig of ad hoc and longer
lived subgroups. This allowed us to have the RG itself be completely
open, while allowing us to lock "12 intelligent people" into a room
for enough time to get something clever written down and slightly
polished, before considering it in the wider RG.

We did decide to recycle a couple of mailing lists, one of
which had been the equivalent of the closed, members-only
end2end list, and if that has caused confusion as to the
membership of the RG as a whole, I apologize.

        Sean.

PS -
| This list seems to be incomplete, BTW. When I first posted a message to
| the list yesterday, I got "out-of-office" messages from:
|
| philip.eardley@bt.com
| Suzanne.Kennedy@GlobalCrossing.com

The irtf-rr list, originally the "interest" list, is the
equivalent of the main IETF list: anyone can join or leave
the list, and the membership of the RG is essentially the
people participatiing on the list (or in a subgroup) at
any given moment.

Like the IETF list, you occasionally run into vacation-file bugs
and the like.