A historical aside

From: RJ Atkinson (rja@inet.org)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 18:54:23 EST

        Something that was useful in the circa late 80s DDN was
the use of the RFC-791 ToS bits to help in path selection. In
particular, it was helpful in sorting out delay-sensitive traffic
(candidate for routing via SATCOM vice cable). This capability
would still be useful. At the time, it was implemented in
John Moy's OSPF, which was deployed in those networks (might still be;
not sure).

        It would be nice/helpful if any new architecture did not
preclude those sorts of routing/traffic optimisations. I imagine
one would not, but just thought I might mention it in passing
since not everyone remembers that particular deployment these days.

        Just food for thought going forward.

Ran
rja@inet.org