Re: A historical aside

From: Fred Baker (fred@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 17:32:27 EST

I agree that it shouldn't be precluded. That said, we went to some effort
to put that into OSPF and IS-IS, and did experimentation with it in the
80's. But the commercial importance was nil - Proteon and 3COM implemented
the feature, Proteon found a few takers, but nobody else did that I ever
heard of. Nowadays, the lowest delay route, the highest throughput route,
the least cost, and the most reliable, are all the same path - the optical one.