Re: A historical aside

From: RJ Atkinson (rja@inet.org)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 20:31:42 EST

At 17:32 17/12/01, Fred Baker wrote:
>I agree that it shouldn't be precluded. That said, we went to some effort to put that into OSPF and IS-IS, and did experimentation with it in the 80's. But the commercial importance was nil - Proteon and 3COM implemented the feature, Proteon found a few takers, but nobody else did that I ever heard of.

        One wonders how much this was lack of marketing, how much it was
the circumstance then, and how much it was lack of the more sophisticated
QoS implementations available these days (or other variables).

>Nowadays, the lowest delay route, the highest throughput route, the least cost, and the most reliable, are all the same path - the optical one.

        There aren't any optical paths to a lot of sites serviced only
via RF. The commercially more interesting of these are likely aircraft
and ships, though some land facilities are either RF or copper constrained
now and for a while yet.

Ran
rja@inet.org