Re: A historical aside

From: Fred Baker (fred@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 00:59:20 EST

At 07:18 PM 12/19/2001, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:
>I wouldn't be so quick to write off constraint-capable routing - which is
>what you're really talking about here. TOS routing, QOS, various kinds of
>policy - when you look at them, what they all really are is the ability to
>select a path given a set of constraints.

it's true that this is in essence what traffic engineering is, in another
guise. I don't think I'm writing it off. I'm countering Ran's claim that it
was ten years ago the wave of the future. It was then a ripple at best, and
as one who tried to ride it, it wouldn't carry a board. If it will carry a
board now, fine.