Re: A historical aside

From: RJ Atkinson (rja@inet.org)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 08:46:41 EST

At 00:59 20/12/01, Fred Baker wrote:
>At 07:18 PM 12/19/2001, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:
>>I wouldn't be so quick to write off constraint-capable routing - which is
>>what you're really talking about here. TOS routing, QOS, various kinds of
>>policy - when you look at them, what they all really are is the ability to
>>select a path given a set of constraints.
>
>I don't think I'm writing it off. I'm countering Ran's claim that
>it was ten years ago the wave of the future.

        I didn't claim it was the "wave of the future", merely that
it was a really useful capability in some situations. Apologies
for any lack of clarity on my part.

        While I'm adding clarity, someone has noted privately that I should
make it clear that when I say "RF connectivity":
        RF is generally NOT a single path, but instead generally multiple
different paths (e.g. HF, VHF, SHF SATCOM) between the same points. Each
path will usually have different link characteristics (e.g. bandwidth,
noise/fading, MAC protocol, ad nauseam). At different times of day
(and sun spot cycle and maybe precipitation in the case of K/Ku band
SHF) different links might be "better" or "worse".

        Noel seems to have captured above most of what I was after
-- and done so in a more clear fashion than I did originally.

        Again, my apologies for any earlier lack of clarity.

Ran
rja@inet.org