Re: A historical aside

From: Curtis Villamizar (curtis@workhorse.fictitious.org)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 22:05:44 EST

In message <E16GA4k-000D8e-00@rip.psg.com>, Randy Bush writes:

> let me see if i understand
> o people are paying me to carry their packets today
> o they expect me not to drop any packets
> o and there is an untapped market out there of folk who want to pay
> me more money to actually drop their packets?

Close. There is a small market for people who will pay you extra to
promise real hard that you really won't drop any and that you'll run
pings day and night to prove that you won't.

If you can find enough customers like this that don't actually use
their network connections, then you might be able to build a business
based entirely on the delivery of ping packets (though some might
argue you really should use OAM packets).

Ran <rja@inet.org> writes:
> There aren't any optical paths to a lot of sites serviced only via
> RF. The commercially more interesting of these are likely aircraft
> and ships, though some land facilities are either RF or copper
> constrained now and for a while yet.

This is true. I own a small sailboat and considering IP connectivity
in the Atlantic, not only was fiber expensive, but I couldn't find
anyone willing to hold up the length of fiber in the middle. In the
future I may be able to string it over some Windmills off Nantucket.
I'm fairly confident that's not the application Ran had in mind but it
is a situation where bandwidth is constrained. Perhaps this problem
is solved in the Pacific. If not, there may be a use for QoS.

Curtis

ps - Does the irtf-ff mailing list exist for any purpose other than
telling jokes about routing? If so, how do you tell the jokes from
the research proposals? Can these research finding be applied to IETF
activity, such as MPLS? [Will Sean and Abha kick me off the list?]

... its been a long day ... and its not over yet.