Re: requirements sub-group draft

From: Kastenholz, Frank (FKastenholz@unispherenetworks.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 10:24:09 EST

Shiv,

The requirements document specifies only that any new routing
and addressing architecture/system support the hop-by-hop
model currently in use. It is intentionally silent on other
models. It does not require other models be used nor does it
prohibit them from being used.

That said, a personal observation is that the probability of
a new architecture/system being deployed is inversely proportional
to the amount of any required changes to end-systems. In fact, the
probability may well be a step function -- if you have 0.000 changes
the probability of successful deployment is 10%, if you have >0.000
required changes, the probability of successful deployment goes to
0.0000% :-(

Similarly, if a proposed new architecture/system _requires_ changes
to the forwarding path of routers, the probability of successful
deployment approaches 0.00 because of the widespread use of ASICs
in high-speed forwarding paths. ASICs have a rather long and
expensive edit-compile-debug loop...

But those are just personal observations.