Re: requirements sub-group draft

From: Alex Zinin (azinin@nexsi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 20:15:43 EST

Following up on this thread, I also think restricting
the work here to the existing approaches would not be correct.

Second, for each forwarding method, there are multiple
forwarding state creation techniques, and hence, routing plane
approaches. It's a multidimensional space of solutions. A value
on one axis does not necessarily define values on others.
E.g., explicit routing does not mean MPLS...

Now, each spot in this space will have a different vector of
complexity (and therefore scalability) characteristics.
The goal is to eventually come up with a solution that gives
us "good enough" complexity assessment in as many components
as possible.

So, on the one hand, we should not preclude alternative forwarding
models, on the other, if any of the existing ones does not give us
desirable characteristics provided by others (potentially completely
new), we should not hesitate to kiss it good bye---the cost of
migration to the new architecture follows the size of the Internet,
so I'm afraid we can't settle for a tmp patch...

As for the discussion of whether changes to the forwarding
model will get in the way of practical deployment... First, I think
it is obvious that the new architecture will need to support the
current one as a special case, so islands of the current Net
will [have to] continue working as they do now. Second, I thought
I saw an explicit statement of "clean slate" in the doc.
Third, try to imagine what our telephone system would be now if
new developments were restricted to protocols understood by
rotary mechanical switches... how about human-based ones? ;)
The above is not to say that code change minimization should
not be an optimization criterion, though.

--
Alex Zinin