Re: Group B comments (was Re: Poke Poke...)

From: Tom Scott (telecomtom@dacor.net)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 22:01:47 EST

Sean wrote:
> Note: if someone asks a question like, "did you consider XYZ?", and
> the answer is "not really" or "yes, but we rejected it", I think it is fair
> to then suggest that this be noted explicitly in the document, particularly
> if you also suggest text that can easily be pasted into it. :-)

I meant to say that ASMs are a solution, not The Way (although I might
think that in privacy of my mind).

These machines are highly flexible and capable of recursive
construction, so that the Internet-as-a-whole becomes one big ASM. The
problematic, as I see it, is that the functions that make up the states
(these are not atomic states as in FSMs but analyzable structures) can
be changed *by the environment*. That opens a can of worms and makes it
rather difficult to proceed without some stable foundations. I have
suggested elsewhere that this foundation is the generalized native
(G)MPLS switch. But that opens another can of worms, as it might seem to
challenge the IP tradition.

I'll leave it to our logician friends to provide the details, assuming
that any of them choose to step out of the shadows.

-- TT

If someone wants to put forward their own reqs draft for consideration,
I see no problem in that. However, it's probably much much much more
useful
to suggest changes/new text to one or the other editor/author-groups
than to write something up from scratch, since comprehensiveness is (to
me)
a clear goal.

Note: if someone asks a question like, "did you consider XYZ?", and
the answer is "not really" or "yes, but we rejected it", I think it is
fair
to then suggest that this be noted explicitly in the document,
particularly
if you also suggest text that can easily be pasted into it. :-)

Remember, these are _drafts_.

        Sean.