one requirements doc or more?

From: Kastenholz, Frank (FKastenholz@unispherenetworks.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 09:46:32 EST

I think it is proper and appropriate for the IRTF
to produce several different requirements documents
(or any other thing we do for that matter).

My reasons are
1. If we were to produce a single document then
   it would be very close to being a "standard"
   (even though the name would not include those
   8 letters). This means that our whole process
   would open up to the IETF's way of doing things.
   Those of you who have known me for a while
   know also that my opinion of "The IETF Process"
   is very low indeed.

2. No matter what the IRTF produces, the IETF will
   want to take it and play with it. They will change
   parts, add new stuff, delete old stuff, and so on.
   Whether the IRTF produces 1 or 100 requirements
   documents, the IETF _will_ change it. This is not
   unreasonable; after all it will then become _their_
   work...

   One could ask "Why not do this in the IRTF-RRG?". The
   answer is simple -- if we did it here then why does
   the IRTF-RRG exist? The answer is simple; the IRTF-RRG
   is here, really, to allow groups of like-minded people
   to form, do some interesting work, and gain review and
   so on from a wider group of people with similar interests.
   In other words, it is to allow several different groups
   to come up with their own views of what the requirements
   are for a new routing architecture (or whatever)

3. As the IETF did with IPNG, I would expect that they
   will solicit more input. See RFC1550 and then the
   documents from the IRTF would simply be multiple
   solicited inputs.

Frank Kastenholz

My preferrred signature is:
        This information is for the sole use of
        whoever receives it and may contain confusing,
        enlightening, enraging, entertaining,
        irritating, or just plain stupid information,
        including without limitation, double-secret-
        probation information belonging to [CENSORED
        BY THE NSA/FBI/MOUSE]. Any unauthorized review,
        use, disclosure, or distribution outside of an
        establishment serving alchohol is prohibited on
        days that do not end in Y.
But our ******'d lawyers would rather have:

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information, including without
limitation, Confidential and/or Proprietary Information belonging to
Unisphere Networks, Inc. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.