Re: 3.19 Media independence

From: Kastenholz, Frank (FKastenholz@unispherenetworks.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 10:17:42 EST

Avri

What we were trying to say that IP routing must not require certain
lower-layer technologies and a proposed architecture may make use
of them, if/when available.

Section 3.19 includes the following statements, which you did not
include in your note:

        The routing architecture must assume, and must work over,
        the simplest possible media.

        The routing and addressing architecture can certainly make
        use of lower-layer information when and where available, and
        to the extend that IP Routing wishes.

Which are meant to cover the issues you bring up.

Frank Kastenholz

At 01:44 PM 3/8/02 +0100, avri wrote:
>i am not sure i understand exactly what is meant in this
>requirement, so a response to my comment may be yes, that
>fits with what we meant - we do not preclude ...
>
>i figure it is worth discussing anyway.
>
> > 3.19 Media Independence
> >
> > While it is an article of faith that IP operates over a
> > wide variety of media (such as Ethernet, X.25, ATM, and
> > so on), IP routing must take an agnostic view towards
> > any "routing" or "topology" services that are offered
> > by the medium over which IP is operating. That is, the
> > new architecture MUST NOT be designed to integrate
> > with any media-specific topology management or routing
> > scheme.
>
>maybe i have been spending too much time thining about it
>lately, but it seems to me that the entire GMPLS
>architecutre places some constriants on the routing
>architecture that run counter to this requirement.
>
>By saying MUST NOT integrate with media-specifc topology
>management, nrarch-rrg seems to precluding some, if not
>much, of the GMPLS architecutre.
>
>i think it is important that the coming routing architecture
>be able to create the routes used by the underlying media
>layer. this means that the system has to take the native
>capabilites of those layers into account and cannot be completely,
therfore, independent of them.

>at that same time, it may not need to take these mechanisms into account
when merely doing an IP overlay, but when doing routing using the raw
structure, it will need to understand
>and be dependent on capabilities, e.g. redundnacy and restoration, that
exist in many sub layers.

My preferrred signature is:
        This information is for the sole use of
        whoever receives it and may contain confusing,
        enlightening, enraging, entertaining,
        irritating, or just plain stupid information,
        including without limitation, double-secret-
        probation information belonging to [CENSORED
        BY THE NSA/FBI/MOUSE]. Any unauthorized review,
        use, disclosure, or distribution outside of an
        establishment serving alchohol is prohibited on
        days that do not end in Y.
But our ******'d lawyers would rather have:

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information, including without
limitation, Confidential and/or Proprietary Information belonging to
Unisphere Networks, Inc. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.