Re: Additional comments on draft-rrg-kastenholz-req-04.txt

From: Sean Doran (smd@ab.use.net)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 15:14:40 EST

| I certainly agree with you that the architecture must allow for
| "as wide a variety of media as possible". However, I also think
| that the architecture should *not* be prohibited from using
| routing/topology/policy services from the layer below.

There is an obvious tension between using extra information that is
already provided by the layer(s) below, whether those are HDLC keepalives,
SDH/SONET B1/K1/K2, circuit AIS, ES:IS, ARP, or whatnot, and
*requiring* that the layer(s) below provide certain intelligence
information to the routing system.

That said, is there *some* information that SHOULD/MUST be provided
by the layer(s) below to the routing system, or do we assume the
presence of completely unintelligent lower-layers, along the lines
of the very first SLIP connections using Rick Adams's drivers?

        Sean.

PS - there is also some tension (even today) between making use of
     a lower layer that has its own routing system, and migrating
     control of those lower layers to "our" routing architecture/system.