Re: OT: billing multicast makes it a non-starter Re: Clarification on Multicast

From: RJ Atkinson (rja@extremenetworks.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 14:22:09 EST

On Tuesday, March 26, 2002, at 01:39 , Radia Perlman - Boston Center for
Networking wrote:

> What does "OT" at the beginning of the subject line mean?
>
> And to argue a bit with Ran:
>>> Part of the operational challenge of IP Multicast is that,
>>> at present, as deployed, there is no IGP/EGP split.
>
> Actually, I don't even believe an IGP/EGP split is necessarily the
> right thing for unicast routing. (Assuming the phrase "IGP/EGP
> split" means "two different routing protocols".

Not what I meant.

> If it instead means, levels of hierarchy,

This is what I meant.

> I don't think an IGP/EGP split helps multicast, since a multicast group
> has the potential of having members all over the place.

        It helps because the split provides a place where an operator
can easily apply appropriate policy. If there are no levels of
heirarchy, then there is no easy/obvious place to apply that policy.
Applying policy is NOT impossible in the current situation,
but it IS very much harder for lack of heirarchy. And a likely
policy is to choose not to carry certain mcast groups, which might
reduce the amount of mcast routing to be done and make it easier
to deploy.

Ran