Re: OT: billing multicast makes it a non-starter Re: Clarification on Multicast

From: Michael Richardson (mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 16:07:19 EST

>>>>> "Dorian" == Dorian Kim <dorian@blackrose.org> writes:
    Dorian> I don't think this is a good characterisation anymore of the
    Dorian> state of
    Dorian> multicast infrastructure. Most of the backbone providers now
    Dorian> offer native
    Dorian> multicast services, or are mostly on the way to having it. I
    Dorian> think it's more
    Dorian> accurate to say that the infrastructure problem for multicast now
    Dorian> is mostly
    Dorian> a last mile problem, since multicast support is fairly common in
    Dorian> the core.

  Well, the "mile" unit must have changed recently.
  Nearest non-tunnel'ed multicast is at least 500-1000km away from me.

] ON HUMILITY: to err is human. To moo, bovine. | firewalls [
] Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON |net architect[
] panic("Just another NetBSD/notebook using, kernel hacking, security guy"); [