Re: OT: billing multicast makes it a non-starter Re: Clarification on Multicast

From: Dorian Kim (dorian@blackrose.org)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 01:25:51 EST

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:30:46PM -0800, Aditya wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:03:02PM -0800, Tony Li wrote:
> > IMHO, we have a chicken and the egg issue. The ISPs would deploy the
> > infrastructure if there was demand. The demand would be there if there was
> > content. The content would be there if there was already deployment. And
> > so it goes...

I don't think this is a good characterisation anymore of the state of
multicast infrastructure. Most of the backbone providers now offer native
multicast services, or are mostly on the way to having it. I think it's more
accurate to say that the infrastructure problem for multicast now is mostly
a last mile problem, since multicast support is fairly common in the core.

> > The only way that I can see out of this cycle is a killer app for mcast. I
> > can only think of one, and it's not exactly politically correct.
>
> If there was a killer app for mcast I'm sure ISPs would figure out how to bill
> for it but it seems that the charges are a "we really don't want to offer this
> so go away" fee currently.

This seems like an odd statement given that _most_ backbone providers types
that offer extensive native multicast service currently charge nominal
(~$0) fees.

-dorian