OT: billing multicast makes it a non-starter Re: Clarification on Multicast

From: Aditya (aditya@mighty.grot.org)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 01:30:46 EST

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:03:02PM -0800, Tony Li wrote:
> IMHO, we have a chicken and the egg issue. The ISPs would deploy the
> infrastructure if there was demand. The demand would be there if there was
> content. The content would be there if there was already deployment. And
> so it goes...
>
> The only way that I can see out of this cycle is a killer app for mcast. I
> can only think of one, and it's not exactly politically correct.

If there was a killer app for mcast I'm sure ISPs would figure out how to bill
for it but it seems that the charges are a "we really don't want to offer this
so go away" fee currently.

Efforts to make mcast easier to run within an AS and development of a
standards-based "reflector box" that can connect inter-AS mcast would probably
make it more attractive to run for many ISPs (generalize Skycache/Cidera,
Akamai etc. etc.)

Adi