Re: Clarification on Multicast

From: Tony Li (tli@procket.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 01:03:02 EST

 | It's certainly (obviously, painfully) true that there are no widely
 | deployed multicast applications on the public Internet. That doesn't
 | reflect lack of demand, rather it's because of lack of deployed
 | infrastructure. If everybody on the net with broadband access were
 | also reachable by multicast, services like shoutcast.com would become
 | far more attractive to provide: they would scale as N(streams) rather
 | than as N(listeners).

Hal,

After sitting next to Dino for 8 of the last 11 years, I'm well aware of
the issues.

IMHO, we have a chicken and the egg issue. The ISPs would deploy the
infrastructure if there was demand. The demand would be there if there was
content. The content would be there if there was already deployment. And
so it goes...

The only way that I can see out of this cycle is a killer app for mcast. I
can only think of one, and it's not exactly politically correct.

Tony