Re: Evolution and the routing architecture

From: Curtis Villamizar (curtis@workhorse.fictitious.org)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 19:55:55 EST

In message <6E447820-48E8-11D6-AC4B-00039357A82A@extremenetworks.com>, RJ Atkin
son writes:

> On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 10:49 , Curtis Villamizar wrote:
>
> > Ran,
> >
> > I doubt that the IAB was suggesting...
>
> Sure, but not sure how that relates to the note I sent earlier today,
> which was about venue for conversations -- not which conversations
> should be held...
>
> Maybe you can educate me offline ?
>
> Ran

Ran,

It seemed like you were suggesting that to be a "clean slate" the
topic of evolving the network could not be discussed and that topic
should only be discussed within the IETF. Where did I go wrong in
interpreting what you said?

My personal opinion is that an "evolutionary approach" is desireable
as long as it does not constrain the outcome to the point where the
outcome does not meet other stronger requirements. We should be able
to deal with the idea of requirements and desireable characteristics
that are secondary.

Curtis

ps - We're nitpicking in discussing the "clean slate" requirement but
if we wanted to be perfectly clear:

     4.10 Clean Slate

        For the purposes of development of the architecture, we assume
        that there is a 'clean slate'. Unless specified in section 3,
        we have no explicit requirements that elements, concepts or
        mechanisms of the current routing architecture are carried
        forward into the new one.

  Frank could (if he wants) add:

    Nor do we prohibit concepts or mechanisms of the current routing
    architecture being reused simply on the grounds that they were
    used in the prior architecture.