Re: mobility

From: Alex Zinin (azinin@nexsi.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 19:53:45 EDT

Noel:

> Why not have the DNS return both? That would save creating a whole separate
> lookup mechanism (to convert from host ID to address), plus the
> cost/complexity/fragility of another lookup step.

I guess my main point was that I didn't mean DNS when I said name,
and that symbolic-name->ID mapping and ID->mapping are independent.
A specific implementation could, of course, us DNS for both, and
this, of course, would impose additional requirements on DNS, as
it would need to be dynamic enough to allow initial connection
establishment to mobile hosts...

> Later, if that host wants to move, it could provide a new address (either
> directly to its correspondents, or indirectly via some servers, or most likely
> both), but the things on the far end would still know they were talking to the
> same entity because it's host ID hadn't changed.

We'll also need to update the [whatever] system that helps
the initial name->address resolution so that new connections
also succeed.

Alex