Re: mobility

From: J. Noel Chiappa (jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 16:21:23 EDT

> From: Alex Zinin <azinin@nexsi.com>

> By name I mean a permanent host ID. Theoretically, DNS resolve could
> return the host ID and then another method could be used to find the
> actual routing address based on it.

Why not have the DNS return both? That would save creating a whole separate
lookup mechanism (to convert from host ID to address), plus the
cost/complexity/fragility of another lookup step.

Later, if that host wants to move, it could provide a new address (either
directly to its correspondents, or indirectly via some servers, or most likely
both), but the things on the far end would still know they were talking to the
same entity because it's host ID hadn't changed.

        Noel