Re: mobility

From: Kastenholz, Frank (FKastenholz@unispherenetworks.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 09:17:25 EDT

At 01:14 PM 4/10/02 -0700, Alex Zinin wrote:

>Frank,
>
>Wednesday, April 10, 2002, 12:51:08 PM, Kastenholz, Frank wrote:
>> Alex
>
>> I was just talking about the host mobility side of
>> things. The requirements say that the routing system
>> need not address host-mobility because mobile-ip seems
>> to adequately cover it (if we're wrong, we'd like to
>> know -- hence my note :-)
>
>> As to network mobility (where, loosely, we can assume a
>> 1:1 relationship between networks and IP prefixes), it
>> seems to me that if the network moves, then its prefix
>> "appears someplace else" in the topology. That seems to
>> be "routing" to me.
>
>So, here you seem to assume (correct me if this is not so)
>that such a prefix is assigned to the network and gets
>announced from different spots in the topology as the net
>moves around. If so, this would be too much of an assumption
>about a specific architecture, because as I said before,
>one could come up with an architecture where all addresses
>are topologically significant and so our mobile network
>would get a new prefix each time it moves to a new distinct
>piece of topology.

Well, then the section of the architectural spec
where network mobility is discussed will be real short...

>Regarding host mobility, I do not see a reason why a specific
>existing technology needs to constrain the requirements.
>I mean, if a new architecture allows a better approach than
>we have now--let's consider it. See below as well.

The wording of the requirements is that any new
architecture is not _required_ to do host-mobility.
It is not, however, prohibited from doing it.

Frank Kastenholz

My preferrred signature is:
        This information is for the sole use of
        whoever receives it and may contain confusing,
        enlightening, enraging, entertaining,
        irritating, or just plain stupid information,
        including without limitation, double-secret-
        probation information belonging to [CENSORED
        BY THE NSA/FBI/MOUSE]. Any unauthorized review,
        use, disclosure, or distribution outside of an
        establishment serving alchohol is prohibited on
        days that do not end in Y.
But our ******'d lawyers would rather have:

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information, including without
limitation, Confidential and/or Proprietary Information belonging to
Unisphere Networks, Inc. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.