so much to do, so little time...

From: Frank Kastenholz (fkastenholz@unispherenetworks.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 17:05:51 EST

i've been watching this discussion and have a couple of
comments

1. this mailing list is for a research group. it should be
   thinking longer term than imediate fixes for current
   operational problems. these are properly addressed (no
   pun intended :-) by the ietf in its various routing
   working groups (such as idr, is-is, etc). so that said,
   we should think more in the 12-18-24-30 month range,
   minimum.
2. given 1, the first thing that can be done that would be
   tremendously helpful (imho) is to understand what the
   current state of routing is -- in particular, some
   questions such as
    - how big are the tables
    - what is the rate of change in the tables and how
      much changes
    - what are growth rates
    - what kinds of policies are used,
    - what else?
   basically, the idea is to try and understand what's going
   on now before we try to figure out what to do about it...
3. from the bits and pieces here, it seems that there are
   'a lot' of things that need doing. incrementalism might not
   be the right answer...

frank kastenholz