Re: so much to do, so little time...

From: RJ Atkinson (rja@inet.org)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 10:26:44 EST

At 17:05 14/12/00, Frank Kastenholz wrote:
>1. this mailing list is for a research group. it should be
> thinking longer term than imediate fixes for current
> operational problems. these are properly addressed (no
> pun intended :-) by the ietf in its various routing
> working groups (such as idr, is-is, etc). so that said,
> we should think more in the 12-18-24-30 month range,
> minimum.

        Yep.

>2. given 1, the first thing that can be done that would be
> tremendously helpful (imho) is to understand what the
> current state of routing is -- in particular, some
> questions such as
> - how big are the tables
> - what is the rate of change in the tables and how
> much changes
> - what are growth rates
> - what kinds of policies are used,
> - what else?

There are several different sources of the operational data.
Since each source has a different measurement point, the data
will vary somewhat. The one that springs most quickly to
my own mind is at:
        "http://telstra.net/ops/bgp"

Other sources of data also exist, such as each Friday's
CIDR Status posting to the NANOG list from Tony Bates'
droid. Also, CAIDA have links to sundry sites from:
        "http://www.caida.org/analysis/routing"

> basically, the idea is to try and understand what's going
> on now before we try to figure out what to do about it...

        Science is good.

>3. from the bits and pieces here, it seems that there are
> 'a lot' of things that need doing. incrementalism might not
> be the right answer...

        Quite so.

Ran
rja@inet.org