what is going on here...

From: abha ahuja (ahuja@umich.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 15:52:44 EST

Hi All...

As co-chair of this group, I'd thought I'd post a message to address some
of the concerns being expressed on the list so that everyone is on the
same page.

This group has been around and idle for some number of years, and since
Sean and I have become co-chairs, more activity has occured than in its
past history. But, it seems that a lot of folks are wondering "what is
going on here?" and have a lot of concerns as to how issues such as
scalability, convergence, routing table size and future routing protocol
possibilties are going to be addressed...

All of these are valid issues and are definitely in the priorties as I see
them for this group.

To start things moving, a smaller group has been formed to do a
requirements/framework doc. Sean and I believe that the folks in this
team reflect a valid cross-section of people in the community who are
capable and willing to address these issues. Once the doc is written, it
will be posted back to the entire group for modifications/feedback. As
this a group process, everyone's participation is encouraged for this. No
one should feel excluded.

We understand the urgency of these issues facing the Internet today and
thus the enthusiasm of folks to get started on something. Therefore, this
list is the perfect place to discuss and develop ideas. While we feel
that everyone is free to work on these problems and we definitely
encourage this behavior, I would hope that as a routing research
community, we would all come together here to develop and advance
individual group efforts rather than splinter into factions and
in-fighting. Instead, I would love to see everything come together here
and this research group do some constructive work. If anyone has any
concerns as to how things are being handled, Sean and I would be happy to
answer any questions.

Let's do this right....

Thanks for your patience.

//abha ;)