isma012 report draft + random stuff

From: k claffy (kc@ipn.caida.org)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 21:38:19 EST

i put off answering recent threads to list
till i had the ISMA workshop report draft done,

        http://www.caida.org/~kc/isma0012finalReport.html

(you'll recognize some of gih's words)

it will end up at
        http://www.caida.org/outreach/isma/0012/finalReport.xml
when all workshop.participants are happy with it,
but i thought some of you might find it interesting.

        speaker's slides for this workshop oat
        http://www.caida.org/outreach/isma/0012/agenda.xml

concatenated to minimize
SMTP headers and no doubt clarity

(btw if http://puck.nether.net/irtf-rr/
is the official home page, can we get those
ppt coverted to a non-gatesian format (abha..))

From: Frank Kastenholz <fkastenholz@unispherenetworks.com>

[wow, this email address is way out of control,
don't let this man touch the routing system :) )

   1. this mailing list is for a research group. it should be
      thinking longer term than imediate fixes for current
      operational problems. these are properly addressed (no
      pun intended :-) by the ietf in its various routing
      working groups (such as idr, is-is, etc). so that said,
      we should think more in the 12-18-24-30 month range,
      minimum.

perhaps i'm unambitious but
i would consider 12 months 'immediate' range
for any serious change to routing system.

2. given 1, the first thing that can be done that would be
   tremendously helpful (imho) is to understand what the
   current state of routing is -- in particular, some
   questions such as
    - how big are the tables
    - what is the rate of change in the tables and how
      much changes
    - what are growth rates

tons of stuff already done on that
(e.g., geoff, seanmccreary, andre)
only fraction of which is at
http://www.caida.org/outreach/isma/0012/agenda.xml

    - what kinds of policies are used,
    - what else?

that last one a little vaguer but still research going on
see 'routing modeling' and 'traffic engineering'
sections on http://www.caida.org/outreach/isma/0012/agenda.xml

   basically, the idea is to try and understand what's going
   on now before we try to figure out what to do about it...

that is so quaint.
frank you stand no chance against the Internet

3. from the bits and pieces here, it seems that there are
   'a lot' of things that need doing. incrementalism might not
   be the right answer...

unless the increment is to figure out what's
going on now? you're not egregiously consistent
here but i think i know what you mean

obviously if we don't re-read everything noel wrote
on this every month we're all on crack

        http://users.exis.net/~jnc/

(wow he must be rolling his eyes at
all of us right now)

ps: one very cool thing andre' has discovered since
    the ISMA workshop is that he captures substantially
    more AS inter-connectivity from the skitter 'big list'
    actively probed data than from all the route-views
    stuff put together. and it's not due to a lack of
    any one or few providers peering w route-views.
    i think this is totally cool, and not just cause it
    means all those US tax dollars on skitter measurements
    were/are a waste.

    this creature is just so amazingly complex. mmmm.

        //
          science is not about control. it is about cultivating a
          perpetual sense of wonder in the face of something that
          forever grows one step richer and subtler than our latest
          theory about it. it is about reverence, not mastery.
            -- richard powers from the gold bug variations
        //