[nsp] conditional BGP config - help

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Mon Mar 22 06:49:09 EST 2004

matthew zeier wrote:
> I have three transit providers - A, B, C - and want to setup
> conditional BGP advertisements such that I only advertise my routes
> to C is both A and B are down.

This works for two well known IP prefixes on A and B (MFN and Level3 are in
the example below), with known stable AS paths (ie. IP addresses from the
providers own block).

neighbor provider.c.ip advertise-map c-failover non-exist-map
track-providers_MFN_Level3

route-map track-providers_MFN_Level3 permit 10
 match ip address prefix-list MFN-track
 match as-path 10
!
route-map track-providers_MFN_Level3 permit 20
 match ip address prefix-list L3-track
 match as-path 11

ip prefix-list L3-track seq 5 permit 209.245.19.0/24
ip prefix-list MFN-track seq 5 permit 207.126.96.0/19

ip as-path access-list 10 permit ^6461$
ip as-path access-list 11 permit ^3356_10753$

If either of those IP prefixes disappear, and/or are only aren't available
via the specified AS paths (ie. any one of the conditions is no longer met)
then you will start advertising routes on Provider C.

Sam