[c-nsp] Problem connecting DSL with 12.3(11)T3

Josh Duffek consultantjd16 at ridemetro.org
Thu Mar 17 10:52:26 EST 2005

> On Mar 17, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Josh Duffek wrote:
>
> > Stuff that looks weird to me:
> >> interface Ethernet0
> >>   half-duplex
> > Really?
>
> well, I am not getting any interface level errors.  This is connected
> to a netopia DSL/Ethernet bridge.  Its possible it does FD, but half
> was safe and working.

Right on...definitely don't "fix" it if it's not broke.

> > Also:
> >> nco#show ip int dialer1
> >> Dialer1 is up, line protocol is up
> > Shouldn't it be up/up spoofing?  This doesn't really matter, but I
was
> > just curious if the code is different now.
> >

> Yes, well sometimes it is up and spoofing, when I did these show
> commands, during its "failed" state, above is what it was showing.

That's kind of weird...your bug might be with the dialer code and not
the PPPoE stuff.  I would add all the "sh dialer X" commands to the list
of stuff to look at/capture when this is broke.

It looks like you have "debug dialer" on...but can you turn on "debug
dialer detailed"?

> > So here is the deal:
> >> *Mar  8 01:04:02.975: Vi1 LCP: O CONFREQ [REQsent] id 2 len 10
> >> *Mar  8 01:04:02.975: Vi1 LCP:    MagicNumber 0x04F29287
> >> (0x050604F29287)
> >> *Mar  8 01:04:04.991: Vi1 LCP: TIMEout: State REQsent
> >
> > You send an (O)utgoing CONFREQ and it never gets ACKd by the
PPPpeer.
> > So something is getting "stuck" after the connection drops.
> >
> > Can you also turn on "debug ppp packet"?  Wonder if you are getting
> > encap failed or something.  I might shutdown the fa0 interface, and
do
> > debug ip packet as well to watch the packets going out the eth0
> > interface.  Also, look at "sh int" and see if anything is weird on
the
> > lan interfaces.
> >

> Those are some good ideas.  I will try to do more debugs, the thing
is,
> my pppoe configs are pretty golden since thats basically what every
> other dsl customer runs, so I tend to question the IOS.  Normally I
> wouldn't be running 12.3T code, but I needed some features in

Route tracking eh?

Thanks,
joshd