[c-nsp] pvst and mst

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Thu Mar 17 16:59:10 EST 2005

> David,
>
> thanks for your feedback. What do you do though with some
> 64-ish and more VLANs in a ring setup, knowing you can only
> take some 3 or 4 more VLANs until the max number of instances
> for pvst is reached? The 3508 and 2950 are both at 64 (not
> counting the 1002-1005 stuff) max, and that number is pretty
> close.

Hi,

I guess this all depends on your environment.  The 2950s etc in our
IDC's are access switches.  Seeing as we are talking about a max of 48
edge ports per device we never have a problem with vlan count.  We
trunk prune so that the switch only receives the vlans for which it has
access ports.  That's right - no VTP - we'd rather manually configure
and maintain our trunking.

Are your 2950s access or are they more "distribution" oriented?

David