[c-nsp] VLAN disappeared

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Thu Sep 22 08:40:18 EDT 2005

Hello,

a VLAN disappeared from a switch this morning (obviously creating
"side-problems").

When I realised this and tried to put it back, here is what the switch told
me:

BRUBLUsw04#vlan database

BRUBLUsw04(vlan)#vlan 828

VLAN 828 added:

    Name: VLAN0828

BRUBLUsw04(vlan)#exit

Proposed configuration has too many VLANs for this device's core memory

resources.  Either reduce the number of VLANs proposed or use another VTP

device to configure database.  (The latter will cause this device to enter

TRANSPARENT mode automatically if propagated to it.)

APPLY failed.

Use 'abort' command to exit

BRUBLUsw04(vlan)#

So I looked up the VLAN, and found 204 that was not supposed to be there:

BRUBLUsw04(vlan)#no vlan 204

Deleting VLAN 204...

BRUBLUsw04(vlan)#vlan 828 name BRUBLU

VLAN 828 modified:

    Name: BRUBLU

BRUBLUsw04(vlan)#exit

APPLY completed.

Exiting....

BRUBLUsw04#

and everybody was happy again.

Now, being infamously incompetent in layer2 switches (among other things), I
have the following questions:

What happened? Why did VLAN 828 suddenly disappear? If I turn this switch
into a VTP client, and add VLANs on a VTP server, will this one be able to
swallow all VLANs of the domain (at the moment, all switches in the VTP
domain are servers)? Why would I want to have this switch VTP-transparent?
How do I check the "core memory resources" consumption? etc.

. in other words: please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Vincent