[c-nsp] PA-2FE-TX using both ports kills module

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Sep 24 13:16:32 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 01:13:24AM +1200, Nikolai Schupbach wrote:
> We have a PA-2FE-TX in a 7206VXR /w NPE400. We have not be successful in
> getting both ports working in this module.

Sounds oh so familiar.

> If we run this module using a single port everything is stable and fine.

Does it work if you run port 1 as "single port"?  Or only "port 0"?

We have had problems as soon as port 1 is used, on a specific hardware
revision on the PA-2FE-TXs.

> However as soon as we enabled the second port
> and start passing traffic through this port, both ports will stop responding.
> The only way to get the card to respond again is to remove and re-insert it.
> (it does not crash the router)

We also saw hard crashes.

> Slot 2:
>         Dual Port FastEthernet (RJ45) Port adapter, 2 ports
>         Port adapter is analyzed
>         Port adapter insertion time 06:58:34 ago
>         EEPROM contents at hardware discovery:
>         Hardware Revision        : 1.0
>         PCB Serial Number        : JAE091283VD
>         Part Number              : 73-5419-06
>         Board Revision           : B0

Bingo (this is "our problem child" in a 7500/VIP2-50):

        PA Bay 0 Information:
                Dual Port Fast Ethernet (RJ45), 2 ports, FRU: PA-2FE-TX=
                EEPROM format version 4
                HW rev 1.00, Board revision B0
                Serial number: JAE064006VR  Part number: 73-5419-06

All reports seen here in this list that had issues with PA-2FE-TXs have
HW rev 1.00 / board revision B0.

We swapped the faulty one in our 7200 to a PA-2FE-TX with revision C0,
and both ports are working perfectly well now...

[..]
> Has anyone heard of any problems with these cards? Two cards, purchased from
> two
> completely different companies, experience the same problem in two completely
> separate routers. This has got me totally stumped.

It would be perfect if you could open a TAC case on this, so this could
finally be tracked down (we can't right now).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de