[c-nsp] Supervisor 32 Compact Flash

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Aug 10 14:47:47 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 01:45:29PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> 	I don't know about the sup32, but we have SUP720's with 1G
> flash cards in them working without troubles.
>
> 	(don't know if they're Type I).

Type I are the small/ordinary ones, type II are the bigger ones (for micro
hd's and such). It looks like type II fits, but I've never tried an actual
microdrive personally. I just installed a sup720 with a 2GB type I regular
sandisk camera CF the other day (only thing I had available), and it
worked just fine.

> 	I just don't understand how cisco can't size flash for
> their platforms to be 1 x physical ram + 2*image_size at minimum so
> you can dump core :)

Because then they couldn't sell the CF at 50x markup without it costing
more than the interface cards? :)

> 	the fact you can't order 1G+ cards from cisco is kinda
> frustrating.

The slow speed at which the CF's are accessed is far more annoying. These
boxes take too long to boot at it is, without trying to write a 1GB
coredump to the flash.

The lastest results from people who've tried the internal flash upgrade to
sup-bootdisk (which is really just a CF with an adapter) are that it still
only reads at 1MB/s (the same as every variety of external CF). For some
reason, the native internal flash in stock 64mb sup720s seem to do 2MB/s.