[c-nsp] RSVP Hellos

Rodney Dunn rodney at cisco.com
Thu Mar 29 15:23:07 EST 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 02:33:55PM -0500, Alaerte.Vidali at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi Rodney,
>
> Do you have details of problems related to process scheduling in 76xx
> when using aggressive RSVP hellos?

Basically if some other process is running there is a chance you can't
get to the rsp hello message processing fast enough so you would declare
the link down when really it's not.

> The pseudo-preemption you mentioned, could you give more details?

Not really. Just a way for the scheduler to signal that a process needs
to run now versus just being scheduled like another process.

> I agree that monitoring loss of signal is the preferred way to do it;
> but for cases where there is no LOS capability, do we have other option
> besides RSVP hellos?

No. You can use them you just can't tune them too low or you run the risk
of getting false positives.