[c-nsp] Internal vlan usage - 6500 sup32

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Thu Nov 1 06:01:46 EDT 2007

Ian MacKinnon wrote:
> OK, I can cope without naming the vlan, can I then create a SVI for the
> vlan, ie interface vlan 1002, ip address <blah>
>
> would this work?
>
> Is it just a normal vlan from the point of view of the layer 2
> functionality?
>
> I am migrating from another platform, and I have a vlan 1002 already and
> I need it work on our new 6500s

I'd advise doing a migration to another vlan-id, since 1002 is going to cause
you problems in 6500 land.

If you can do vlan-id rewrites on the platform you're migrating from, use
that.  Otherwise, connect the 2 platforms together with an access port with
vlan 1002 on the old platform, and a different vlan-id on the 6500.  You may
be able to do this using different native vlan-ids on a trunk if you aren't
tagging the native vlan.  Finally, you could use a U-bend on the original
platform to rewrite the vlan tag as well.

Cheers,
--
Ian Dickinson
Senior Network Development Engineer